From this page you can download FreeTerm v1.44.
- Telnet negotiation fixed (thanks to Stewart Brodie & Justin Fletcher).
Some stuff happened between v1.41 and v1.44 - see the ChangeLog.
Changes since v1.20
- Manual covers scripts.
- Connect to remote host window now grabs input focus
- Connect to remote host window remembers port and host of last connection.
- Scripting features reasonably stable, memory leak probably still
present but not for long.
- Scripts can now be put into the AutoRun directory without FreeTerm
running itself <n> times.
- ArcWeb telnet URL passwords and logins are supported through script
- MTTermSupport module added, allows keypad to be used properly for
VT keys, although yet to be put through.
- Rough attempt at fixing load/crash bug reported by some users.
- This version has a known memory leak, I just haven't got round to de
allocating script processes which are never started.
- Extra script loader program added to forward freescript runs
appropriately. Scripts use officially allocated type 0x133.
- Script language added (thanks to those on #acorn for putting up with the
- Hopefully fixed icky bomb-out-on-socket-fail behaviour
- Terminal test window added
- Larger history sizes now allowed, up to 9999 lines
- stderr redirection detected and buffering disabled automatically
- No longer crashes if palette could not be written
- Please close window message no longer displayed before autoclose
- HostlistH now actually included when saving hostlist
Changes since v1.26 beta
- iconised windows now have sensible names (xargle instead of uk etc)
- beep script command added (generates vdu 7)
Changes since v1.27 beta
- bug fixed in iconiser handling code which caused a crash when the iconiser changed.
- for some reason the 1.27 distribution had ic_freeterm instead of ic_term - this is fixed.
- command line switch added - "vtlie" which forces FreeTerm to report itself as a vt100 rather than vt102 terminal to the remote end.
Changes since v1.28 beta
- task and sendf commands added to freescript
NOTE: these don't work yet. Work in progress.
- another fix of iconsier handling code, hopefully got it sussed now.
Changes since v1.29 beta
- user is now shown a window whilst connections are in progress, this will probably be improved soon to allow aborting connections.
- a couple of memory nasties fixed. finger session deallocation could previously muck up telnet sessions and/or try to free invalid blocks (thus resulting in a complete quit).
- now compatible with ANT's URL launch protocol (intercepts telnet: and finger: requests) - this hasn't been tested with indirected URLs yet.
- now intercepts render requests for finger: urls from arcweb
- new script command "title" allows terminal window title to be changed
- now confirms quit if sessions are still open.
- fixed crashes when long (over 512) URL requests are recieved
- rudimentary looping commands (jump and label) added
- task and sendf commands now work
Changes since v1.30 beta
- Scripts in <FreeTerm$Dir>.Script now appear in the hot list, hot list code was generally improved.
- FreeLoader now deals with URLs passed in CLI to allow ANT's URL protocol to launch telnet and finger URLs when FreeTerm isn't loaded.
- New fonts from Reuben Thomas: (Sys08x08, Sys08x16 and Z88/06x08)
> Sys08x08, Sys08x16
> These fonts are not really useful with Zap, but are with FreeTerm
> if you want to use the system font. Zap can supply the system bitmaps
> when parts of a font are missing (as with e.g. SysDec, SysDom), but
> FreeTerm can't. In fact, the control characters are all blank in
> these fonts, as I couldn't be bothered to put them in.
> Z88/06x08: the Z88's font
> This bears a marked resemblance to 06x08.C, which I used as my model.
> I suppose that when you get this small your choices as a designer
> are limited. Anyway, this is a faithful copy of the Z88 font.
> Note: the System fonts are probably (c) Acorn Computers Ltd, and
> the Z88 font (c) Cambridge Computers Ltd.
> Reuben Thomas (email@example.com until at least July 1998).
Changes since v1.31
- For some silly reason the messages file was missing the > for the
- Spool->Open menu entry on the terminal menu
- Disconnection fixed, FreeTerm had a nasty tendency of leaving sockets open.
- Alternative sprites supplied by Paul LeBeau
- New font, Paul9x17 supplied by Paul LeBeau
Changes since v1.32
- German resources from Richard Atterer <firstname.lastname@example.org> now included in standard distribution.
- New default sprites designed by Richard Atterer, the old sets are still included.
- A couple of problems with the messages file fixed, so the spool submenu etc work almost correctly, there's still a slight problem with Spool->Open and Selection->Open, the submenu tags seem to be ignored, they still work as normal menu entries though.
- shutdown(socket,2) now called before socket close
- FreeTerm doesn't interpret some finger URLs correctly, and generally doesn't show the output as nicely as some web browsers, so it can be prevented from responding to ArcWeb & ANT finger URL broadcasts by using the new -nofingerurl command line switch.
- Finally scrapped Ttylinkd
Changes since v1.34
- Ctrl-c now sent as out of band data
- used to prompt are you sure you want to quit when closed connections had windows open. fixed.
Changes since v1.39
- shouldn't ack URLs when -nofingerurl specified.
- cancel behaviour of dboxqueries now as follows :
- in NC interface mode a cancel/default action is taken as being
a confirm action - this allows NC keyboard only users to
- in normal mode behaviour is as before, cancel/default is taken
as being a cancel.
- Query boxes now get caret
- NC interface introduced, with allowances for no task manager etc
- mtitle1 changed from "Telnet" to "FreeTerm". Attention to detail, oh yesh.
- potential problem in debug mode fixed
- altered iconised sprite name to ic_term
- cancel in configure window would load another set of freeterm
scripts on hot list. doesn't any more.
- Now works rather nicely in STB style environment, can be set up by just dropping into Apps directory of baseline and uncommenting FreeTerm$Interface line in !FreeTerm.!Boot. Typing telnet urls into Fresco to start connections.
- Shift-insert will now type a marked block in a terminal at the cursor. Note that this will only work in the same window as the block is marked in.
- Finger code tidied, potential null pointer access fixed.
- Iconisation fixed (finally?)
- Some dodgy callbacks on terminal deletes altered, hopefully avoiding free failures and other such nastyness.
Click here to download FreeTerm v1.44 (~215k)
© 20-20 Software/Tony Howat 2001. E&OE, Trademarks acknowedged.
Last Updated : 3rd January 2001